Skip to Content
Programs : Brochure
This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
Independent Elon Program Abroad (IEPA) (RM)
Program Terms: Academic Year,
Program Dates & Deadlines: Click here to view
Fact Sheet:
Class Eligibility:
0-First Year and Above
Minimum GPA:
Internship Option:
Volunteer/Service Opportunities:
Program Capacity:
Program Advisor/Manager:
Rhonda Waller
ELR Unit: Varies
Program Description:

IEPA Policies

Definition of an IEPA

An IEPA is broadly defined as an independent study abroad experience developed by a student in conjunction with a faculty member, approved by an academic department and the GEC, during which the student will be enrolled full- or part-time at Elon. Elon credit will be granted at the end of the program. IEPAs are generally academic internships, independent research, or an Elon independent study abroad. Approval will not be given to locations where there are U.S. State Department Travel Warnings in effect.

Academic Credit

Speak with your Academic Advisor about the most appropriate type of independent international experience for you. This may be an internship, independent research, or independent study. Discuss with your Academic Advisor who an appropriate faculty mentor would be for your IEPA.

Once a faculty mentor is established, meet with the faculty mentor to discuss the goals, objectives, and requirements (including the number of contact hours, assignments, readings, etc.) of the IEPA.

Experiential Learning Requirement

An IEPA fulfills 1-2 units of the Experiential Learning Requirement, depending on the number of semester hours earned.  See the Elon University Academic Catalog for details..


Billable Costs

The Billable costs for an Independent Elon Program Abroad (IEPA) include tuition based on credit hours (s.h.) and international health insurance. 

The cost of tuition varies depending on how many credit hours (s.h.) you will earn on the IEPA.  Students work with the faculty to determine the amount of course credit they will enroll for while on this program.  Students will be billed by Elon for the credits for which they are enrolled.  For current tuition costs, visit the Bursar's website.

The cost of international health insurance varies depending on the length of the program.  International health insurance must be purchased for a minimum of two weeks.  More information on international health insurance can be found in the "International Accident and Health Insurance" section of this page.

Estimated Costs

Possible expenditures for studying abroad include flights, baggage fees, accommodations, visa and entry fees, gifts, entertainment, meals, books, admission to sites, local transportation, utilities, and other miscellaneous costs.  Design a budget based on your semester expenditures at Elon and take into account additional travel expenses and exchange rates.  To check exchange rates, visit or OANDA.

Other Costs

If you do not have a passport that is valid until six months beyond your anticipated return for this program, visit the Department of State website to see the current processing fees for passport renewals and first time applications. The cost for a new passport is approximately $135; the cost for a passport renewal is approximately $110.

International Student Cards
The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) and iNext card are popular forms of student identification abroad and can include additional insurance policies.  Visit the ISIC website or iNext website to get more information on the benefits of these cards and to purchase one for your time abroad.

Immunizations and Medications
Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website to see the recommended and required immunizations and medications for your program.  Talk with your family and your physician to decide which immunizations and medications you will get before you travel.  Visit the study abroad Health and Safety webpage for more information on where you can obtain immunizations.

Elon and Non-Elon Financial Aid/Loans

During an IEPA, students could still be eligible to receive all federal and Elon financial aid and loans, provided that they still meet the requirements of each particular award. For summer study, a separate financial aid application is required, and applications are available through the office of Financial Planning.  For additional information on scholarships or other funding for study abroad, see the Funding for Study Abroad page.

If you qualify for a travel grant through any of the fellows or scholars programs, see the appropriate program director for more information on how to apply the grant to your study abroad program.  Visit the Deadlines and Events Calendar for travel grant deadlines.

International Accident and Health Insurance

All Elon students studying abroad and receiving Elon academic credit are required to purchase international accident and health insurance through the GEC. The insurance coverage is provided by iNext at a reasonable cost and varies based on the length of stay. For the exact cost, please contact the GEC at 336-278-6700 or Coverage will be from the date of departure through the date of return and the charges will be added to your student account. Once enrolled, you will receive an email from iNext with verification of enrollment, an insurance card, and instructions on how to register online, where there is an extensive list of medical providers world-wide and a wealth of other information by location. A 24-hour emergency assistance hotline is also included in the policy. Comprehensive policy information is available on the International Health Insurance webpage.

Student Responsibilities

A. Follow the appropriate process for independent study, research or internship approval of the academic department in which you will be seeking credit.
B. Complete the IEPA application in ElonAbroad and submit all required materials as outlined in ElonAbroad.
C. Register and pay for the appropriate number of Elon credit hours.
D. Become familiar with Elon’s study abroad insurance coverage and know what to do in case of a medical emergency or if emergency assistance is needed.

Tips and Resources from Past Students 

Below are some helpful resources created by students who have participated in IEPAs:

Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year Decision Date Start Date End Date
Summer 2015 Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Academic Year 2015-2016 04/30/2015 TBA TBA
Fall 2015 Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Spring 2016 Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Winter 2016 Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Academic Year 2016-2017 12/01/2015 TBA TBA
Fall 2016 Rolling Admission TBA TBA
NOTE: To guarantee consideration for a GEC Access Scholarship for this program, you must submit the application questionnaire "Apply for a GEC Access Scholarship" by Feb. 18. Scholarship questionnaires submitted after Feb. 18 are not guaranteed consideration and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Summer 2016 Rolling Admission TBA TBA
NOTE: To guarantee consideration for a GEC Access Scholarship for this program, you must submit the application questionnaire "Apply for a GEC Access Scholarship" by Feb. 18. Scholarship questionnaires submitted after Feb. 18 are not guaranteed consideration and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applications will be reviewed on a space-available basis and applicants will be notified of their application status within two weeks of submission.

Indicates that deadline has passed