*Please note: Applicants must have a confirmed clinical slot prior to submitting a GLO application. Please confirm your clinical education slot with the clinical education team prior to applying for a GLO.
Elective I (4 weeks)
The elective rotation is intended to provide the student with supervised experiential training in an area that he/she might have a special interest in bust was unable to experience during other clinical rotations.
The Toledo district is the poorest of Belize's districts with 79% of the population living below the poverty line. Most of the Maya villagers live on subsistence farming and due to their diet, there is significant malnutrition leading to stunting of growth in almost 44% of the children. Although Punta Gorda and the larger villages on the main road have amenities, many of the villages do not have electricity or running water.
View the Hillside website for more information.
Air travel to Belize; can take a bus to Punta Gorda but local airline (Tropic Air or Maya Island Air) is recommended (vs bus). The clinic provides transportation from town to clinic. Public transportation is available via bus.
Costs for study away vary program to program and will not be exactly the same as on-campus costs of attendance at Elon.
For cost information for this program, see the Medical Student Application for course fees.
Food, open time to explore, tours, extra activities are not included in the program fees.
Under the current University liability insurance policy, students will be covered by University liability insurance when participating in an approved GLO program.
Very limited internet/Wi-Fi access.
- Students must complete the online application and pre-departure and post-departure learning modules by the published deadline.
- Students must apply to Hillside in addition to the GLO application, completing the online applications by the published deadlines.
- Students must remain in good academic and professional standing to qualify for participation.
- Students on academic or professional probation are not permitted to participate.
- Students are required to blog from their location as part of their course related requirements.
- All GLO students are required to present their experiences at the School of Health Sciences Annual GLO Fest.
Connect with the GEC, GLO alumni, and prospective students on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. And keep in touch with us using #ElonGlobal!
Program Leader: Dr. Diane Duffy
Assistant Professor of Physician Assistant Studies
Gerald L. Francis Center, Office 205
2087 Campus Box Elon, NC 27244
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2019||12/31/2019 **||Rolling Admission||09/03/2019||10/10/2019|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applications will be reviewed on a space-available basis and applicants will be notified of their application status within two weeks of submission.